Monday, March 7, 2011

Minecraft



   Minecraft is a big hit now, despite it's price of 15 Euros and it's Beta test status.
I bought the game back when it was in alpha test, since then I've been mashing mountains, cutting down trees and slaughtering (or being slaughtered) the fauna, all of this to build structures, just like legos !

There is not realy a point to Minecraft, you are free in a randomly generated world composed of stone, sand, grass, water, trees, and monsters ! All of those being raw materials for your buildings, tools, weapons, armor and food. For the momment you don't even need any of those, you can survive without using any of it, but in the later patches you will have to eat and drink to survive, but of course, when the night falls down, monsters will track you down.

And inevitably, you will build, not only because you have to, but because you can.
Minecraft is a reak commentary on human behavior. It puts you in a sandbox with unlimited power and one condition: To create anything, you must destroy something else. It’s a lesson on natural resources, which might seem painfully obvious if so many other games didn’t stuff players with unlimited ammo and health-restoring chicken hidden in trash cans. It is a beautiful model of humanity’s need to destroy and rebuild.
That message is never forced on the player. It’s implied in the system Minecraft creates. And when the revelation strikes, as you’re digging into another mountain, chopping down another tree, butchering another cow, the joke’s on you.


But the best part of the game is not it's solo mode, but rather the multiplayer part. In multiplayer survival you can actually see how much a simple sandbox game can become very complicated. Each servers will be different because players are going to invent a life to those servers, some may build cities, become mayors, this game becomes like another life, even more powerful than MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, this game becomes another world to live in, you can put up societies or nations and build gigantic buildings, the possibilities are infinite.

And this is why Minecraft sold more than 1 million time, there are no rules, you make them.
Digg this

21 comments:

  1. I keep seeing stuff about Minecraft and keep meaning to check it out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. me 2 but dont really calls me to spend money on it =/

    ReplyDelete
  3. minecraft is one of the most addicting games out right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love minecraft, there's no telling how many hours I have spent playing that game so far... haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so hooked to this thing for like a week, that it actually interfered with my job LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried it, since I'm afraid I'll become addicted just like every other game I own :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mc pic :D
    btw I think I have to try minecraft, seems to be a cool game

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to get back into the love of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should make a Minecraft drink! Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this game but I've never looked at it from an anthropological view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. minecraft is absolutely nothing for me, I tried it because of all the hype from my friends, but didn't understand the point of it.
    Now I'm just lucky that I'm at least able to talk about it when my friends bring it up

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never play minecraft :/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its a great game, but I like the single player better myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this game. Spelunking is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. dude some of the things ive seen made are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have a lot of friends really into this, but i've never played it myself.
    it's whole concept sounds incredibly boring and lame, but everyone says it's awesome.
    i guess i'll have to check it out.
    +follow

    ReplyDelete
  17. For a game in beta its extremly fun. I hope at some point they get some major funding. The concepts great and if they can just up the graphics and such itll be amazing.

    ReplyDelete